Here is a simple, healthy and delicious recipe for Green Lentils with Red Kidney Beans. I prepare it in a pressure cooker with lentils/Beans soaked overnight. It’s ready in no time and goes well with Rice or Roti.
1/2 cup Green Lentils
1 cup Beans
(Ratio of lentils to water is 1:4 so I used 6 cups of water for this recipe)
1-2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 large chopped onion
1 tbsp chopped Ginger- Garlic or Ginger garlic paste
2-3 large tomatoes
2 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilli pwd
1 tbsp Curry Powder
1/2 tbsp garam masala
bunch of cilantro stalks chopped for garnish
1. In a pressure cooker, heat 1-2 tbsp oil. Fry cumin and mustard in oil for 30 secs. Add onions, ginger and garlic.
2. Add salt, turmeric and red chilli powder. Fry for 2-3 mins and add tomatoes.
3. Once tomatoes are tender, add curry powder and garam masala. Mix well
4. Add overnight soaked lentils/beans and add water.
5. Cover the pressure cooker and cook on medium-high for 1 whistle. After that turn the heat to medium-low and give 3-4 more whistles ( 10-15 mins) and then turn the heat off.
Let the cooker cool down, before opening it. Garnish lentils with cilantro leaves and serve.
Get inspired on Pinterest: